Stream This Episode On Demand
It’s been an emotionally taxing week for everyone associated with Full-Time Blues Radio. This week’s program features two tributes in the first half of the program. First up, we revisit a 2010 telephone conversation that johnny Full-Time had with Smokin’ Joe Kubek. Kubek passed away Sunday October 11, 2015, after suffering a fatal heart attack. You’ll also hear a pair of songs by Joe and his musical partner, Bnois King.
Johnny Full-Time also takes the opportunity to pay tribute to a personal friend, radio veteran Dave Lyons, who, coincidentally, passed away the same day as Joe Kubek. Dave was a veteran of the radio business for more than three decades, and worked in the Evansville, Indiana market for the majority of it. JFT remarked, “Dave and I crossed paths often in a professional setting. Then, I got to know him outside of work through a mutual friend we shared. I enjoyed the brief time I got to share with Dave; and I was looking forward to reconnecting with him following my move back home. I’m heartbroken I missed that chance.”
Courtesy Stony Plain
The featured selection from inside “Johnny’s Mailbox” is a song simply titled “You,” by the Canadian trio MonkeyJunk. The men have put together a new album titled Moon Turn Red
, which is available now from Stony Plain. The album features 10 tracks, nine of which were written by the band themselves or in collaboration with others. The 10th song is a cover of David Wilcox’ “Hot Hot Papa.” Wilcox joined the band for the recording.
You can find complete information on all things MonkeyJunk at their official website, MonkeyJunkBand.com, and be sure to scroll below this week’s playlist, and watch a video featuring MonkeyJunk discussing their sound, the new album, and more.
1. Smokin’ Joe Kubek & Bnois King – Lone Star Lap Dance – Fat Man’s Shine Parlor
2. Smokin’ Joe Kubek & Bnois King – My Best Friend – Close To The Bone
3. Ian Siegal – Preachin’ Blues/Live So God Can Use You/You Got To Move – Man & Guitar
4. Robert Johnson – Sweet Home Chicago – The Complete Recordings:
The Centennial Collection
5. The Jimmys – Funk Schway – Hot Dish
6. Reverend Freakchild – All I Got Is Now – Hillbilly Zen-Punk Blues
7. The Claudettes – You’d Have to Be Out of Your Mind (To Play These Blues) – No Hotel
8. The Kentucky Headhunters with Johnnie Johnson – Superman Blues –
Meet Me In Bluesland
9. Mud Morganfield & Kim Wilson – I Want To Be Loved –
For Pops: A Tribute To Muddy Waters
10. MonkeyJunk – You – Moon Turn Red
You Might Also Like:
Listen: Episode 1541
Listen: Episode 1540
Listen: Episode 1539